Sunday, October 4, 2015

Choosing Fiber to Spin

I pulled off a small sample of the dyed Superwash Merino with nylon to spin to make sure Hedwig, my Kromski Sonata, is adjusted properly after being cleaned and lubed. Never having spun superwash wool before I didn't know what to expect but it took me quite a while to prep 4 oz for spinning. Hard to describe the feel of the wool, expected it to be more slippery. It 'grabs' and doesn't draft as smoothly as I expected it would.

Looks like I will start off spinning with my recycled blue jean cotton roving instead of the superwash wool. In any case, I will spin some more of the superwash before deciding.  That's what prepping is for, after all....making sure you know what to expect from the fiber before committing the time to spin it when time is an issue.
Post a Comment