Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Line That Tote!


 I like to knit with lace weight yarn, usually a wool and silk blend, and I don't like that the yarn, and what I am knitting with it, tends to get a bit fuzzy from wallowing around in a canvas tote bag. I have two bags from a couple of my favorite knitting shops that I use on a regular basis and decided to make a satin lining for each of them. The Woolie Ewe bag is finished. I thought about putting pockets in the lining, but since the fabric is so slippery I decided not to....maybe for the other bag....not sure.

I didn't take photos of the work in progress, so this isn't really a tutorial, but all you have to do is measure your bag starting at the top, down the front, across the bottom, and up the back, allow an inch to turn under at the top of the lining; measure across the width of the bag, allowing for seam allowances. Since my fabric was super slippery I serged the cut edges and the seams. I mitered the bottom to match the miter on the bag itself, pinning the lining to the inside of the bag, right side showing of course, and did a single row of top stitching from the inside of the bag. I used pink polyester thread for the top and black cotton for the bobbin and the stitching is not noticeable.


The Mountain Colors wool/silk blend lace yarn is much happier in this bag now that it is lined!


I am adding beads to the edge of the Free and Easy Pie Wedge Shawl in place of the yarn overs. I decided that the shawl needed something to give it a bit more drape and keep it from flying around when being worn. I saw this shawl made up at The Knitting Sisters in Williamsburg, VA on a trip to visit our daughter and her family. I really, really wanted the pattern for this skein of yarn that I purchased on that trip, but the lady at the shop said it only comes on the label of Lorna's Laces yarn! So....when I got back home to Texas, I ended up going to the Woolie Ewe for a skein of the yarn that had the pattern printed on the label, that The Knitting Sisters didn't have at the time. Depending on how you look at it, I either bought a $50 skein of yarn for the free pattern, or I bought a $50 pattern and got a ball of yarn for free! But I digress...I am making this shawl for a family member and I am really happy with the way it is turning out.
Post a Comment