Monday, February 27, 2012

My! How I have changed!


 Not that long ago, my heart would beat a little faster at the mere thought of another knitting book. And, nowadays there are even e-books! (I have quite a few of those, too!) Now I find myself questioning the purchase of another book on knitting! Strange reaction....

And, yes, the bookcase is getting a bit crowded. I have books on lace, shawls, socks, stitch patterns, spinning, weaving, dyeing, tatting.... But, I seem to be getting more picky when it comes to investing in another book of any kind, even a novel. The last novel I bought was purchased at Sacred Heart bookstore in Dallas: "Quo Vadis" took me less than a week to read at over 500 pages. I couldn't put it down! Obviously, it was a good purchase and deserves space on a shelf.

So many books, and magazines for that matter, have much the same content when it comes to knitting design and basic patterns these days. There are exceptions, of course. And, sometimes I do go ahead and buy that book I was just fondling in the book store. (I think I have the basics, and have had for many years.) But, if there are not several projects or techniques that interest me I will just as often put it back on the shelf. The last time I was at Half-Price Books in our area I couldn't find a knitting book that interested me. I did end up buying a book for $6 on drawing and calligraphy. It seemed as though with every page I turned I found something that I wanted to try out.

I come by my love of books from my family who are avid readers. By the time I was 13 I had read all of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 56 short stories and 4 novels on Sherlock Holmes.

I really think a love of reading is actually in my DNA. One of my fathers cousins did a family genealogy back in the 1970's and I discovered that there are educators and scholars in our family going back as far as the American Revolution. It makes me wonder how far back into history this family heritage goes. Most of my ancestors arrived in the colonies from the British Isles but we have not been able to pinpoint the exact time that this happened, although the family was already well established before time of the Revolution. I am eternally thankful to have such a rich heritage to draw from. I have a feeling that there were more than a few women in my family tree who were quite talented with textile production as well!
Post a Comment