Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Toe Up Sock Design

I have been reading Wendy Johnson's Socks From the Toe Up and using Judy's Magic Loop cast on I started my first toe up sock last night. As luck would have it, 64 sts on size 0/2mm needles with Sockotta sock yarn gives me 8 spi and a perfect fit for my skinny, size 9 feet.

I need a narrow tapering toe so I cast on 16 sts, 8 for the top and 8 for the bottom, and when I increased to the required 64 sts I switched to dp's since that is my favorite method of knitting socks. By increasing one stitch on the top of the sock I was able to have enough sts to do the Lace Rib from A Treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara G. Walker, with 5 repeats across the top of the sock. Now...on to the gusset!

1 comment:

Amber said...

I haven't worked on my sock since we went to TWE...need to rip it back some and modify it a bit to make it work...