Friday, August 20, 2010

Black Bean Soup

My mom introduced me to black bean soup several years ago and now I make it on a regular basis. I have soaked dried beans and used them, but I have found that canned organic beans make the best soup. Kroger carries a brand I like, Private Selection. The only ingredients are organic black beans, water and sea salt. One 15 oz can contains 130 mg of sodium.

I start by sauteing chopped onion, celery, carrots and garlic in olive oil. Then I add a cup of red wine and let it simmer until the wine reduces. I add 4 cans of beans, a 10 oz can of Ro*Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies after draining the liquid (if you like it hotter just add the liquid), a 15 oz can of Private Selection Organic Sweet Corn and 1 qt of Imagine Organic Free Range Low Sodium Chicken Broth. Grind a little black pepper and sea salt to taste. A little salt is needed since the ingredients are low sodium. Sea salt is best since it has trace minerals and lower sodium content.

Let the whole thing simmer uncovered for about an hour until it reduces to a good consistency. Serve with whole grain bread and some raw carrots for munchies and you have a feast!

No comments: