Saturday, March 6, 2010

Another Shawl


I stopped by the Woolie Ewe earlier this week with my friend, Julie, to exchange a knitting needle and ended up buying 7 skeins of Manos del Uruguay's Silk Blend Multi in Autumn. What can I say? It was calling my name as soon as I walked in the door.

I decided start another triangular shawl in a pattern I adapted from two other shawls. This one begins with 7 stitches and is knitted from the top down in garter stitch with visible yarn over increases at both edges and in the center of the back as in Cheryl Oberle's Wool Peddler Shawl from Folk Shawls, page 71. There are also two increase rows: one after 30 rows and another 12 rows after the first, an idea I picked up from a pattern for a Faro Isle Shawl in an old issue of Knitter's Magazine. This gives the shawl some fullness so that it will roll across the shoulders and hang down the front nicely instead of sliding off as so many triangular shawls will.

I am incorporating bands of lace in different patterns beginning with Cat's Paw. I will decide what to add as I go, making it a sampler of lace patterns.
Post a Comment