Saturday, August 15, 2009

Swallowtail Lace Shawl


I finally decided on a pattern for my skein of Prism Lace Wool. I really like the looks of Evelyn Clark's Swallowtail Lace Shawl available in a pdf file for free. I discovered the link on Ravelry while searching for free patterns. Any serious knitter, or crocheter for that matter, should check out Ravelry if you haven't done so yet. They also have groups for spinners and weavers as well.

I have had the Prism Lace Wool since May of 2008 when I purchased it in Willimsburg, VA, at Knitting Sisters while on a visit to our daughter. There was one skein in Antique colorway and I didn't know what I would do with it, but it called my name and so I bought it. I don't often pay $36 for one skein of yarn, but this was too gorgeous to pass up.

The Swallowtail Lace Shawl pattern in lace weight yarn only calls for 437 yards, making a very small shawl. I plan to keep increasing until it is big enough to suit me, which won't be a problem since there is 1,460 yards in this skein! So far, so good as the knitting goes. The chart is easy to read and once I manage to get the repeat to remain in my brain long enough I won't even need the chart. The main part of the pattern is only 3 pattern rows with purl rows following.

The only thing cooler than knitting and blogging is being able to do both away from home....yep, that's right! I am sitting at Panera bread in Sherman, TX as I write this. I took the photo after knitting a few more rows, uploaded the photo and posted it here. I love technology! (when it works)
Post a Comment