Friday, January 23, 2009

Finished!



I just got finished blocking the brown shawl. Whew! It takes up the entire top of the king-size bed. The brown center is 50 inches across and the border is 14 inches.

I let it soak a few minutes in some Eucalan and spun it out in the washer. It took me half an hour to pin it out using a yard stick for a guide. I can hardly wait for it to dry. I turned on the ceiling fan to speed things up so it won't be long....which will be nice since we have another cold front coming this way tomorrow according to the local weather report.

Since we don't have carpet, the next best thing is to use the bed and by moving it out from the wall (it's on wheels) I can get all the way around it without reaching too far in any direction.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Almost finished...




I am working on the lace border for my brown wool shawl and hope to be finished by this weekend. The border I chose is the 2X2 Openwork Rib from Traditional Lace Shawls by Martha Waterman. After looking through all my pattern books I couldn't find an edging that I liked so I altered one from Victorian Lace Today. On page 80 there is a lilac scarf with a wide border. I shortened it and eliminated the double yarn over in the pattern and the result is quite nice.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

It's a Kalonchoe!

After I posted a query in an attempt to identify a plant, I learned that it is a Kalonchoe, probably K. daigremontian, also known as alligator plant. I have seen Kalonchoes before but none with leaves long and slender like this plant. I am looking forward to it blooming, if I don't manage to kill the poor thing, and have moved it to a south facing window. I thought it seemed a bit 'leggy' and it's new location will help that.