Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Cutest Baby Hat Ever!


I recently bought three skeins of Plymouth Dreambaby D.K., acrylic microfiber/nylon at a little shop, Delightful Hands, in Celina, TX, to make baby hats. The yarn is super soft and works up well at 5spi on #5 dp needles.

I wanted to make a long-tailed hat with a pom pom on the end but I didn't like the instructions in the Itty Bitty Hats book so I changed it up a bit to get a more gradually shaped tail.

I wanted it to be small so I cast on the recommended 56 sts and knit stocking stitch for 5 inches before beginning decreases.

First Dec: (knit 6 sts, knit 2 tog) around. Knit 2 rounds.
Second Dec: (knit 5 sts, knit 2 tog) around. Knit 2 rounds.
Third Dec: (knit 4 sts, knit 2 tog) around. Knit 3 rounds.
Fourth Dec: (knit 3 sts, knit 2 tog) around. Knit 3 rounds.
Fifth Dec: (knit 2 sts, knit 2 tog) around. Knit 5 rounds.
Sixth Dec: (knit 1 st, knit 2 tog) around. Knit 5 rounds.
Final Dec: (knit 2 tog) around. Break yarn and thread through stitches and close end. Make pom pom and attach to end.

Now is that cute or what?

5 comments:

Nickname unavailable said...

I love it! You are so very creative! Your hat for Lizzy was one of the coolest! Everyone kept picking it up and wanting to touch it and comment on all the colors! Thanks for sharing! See you soon.
Dorcas

Susan said...

I also enjoy knitting with dreambaby dk for preemie hats.

Patricia Blankenship,ocds said...

Thanks, Dorcas! I will see you on the 13th and this time I will bring my spinning wheel. If Vicki is there maybe I can entice her to sit and spin.

Melissa H said...

There isnt a picture on Ravelry of this hat.
I wonder if you would put one there?

Patricia Blankenship,ocds said...

You can find the cap on Ravelry here:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/FiberEnthusiast/long-tailed-baby-cap-free-pattern