Thursday, June 5, 2008

Teresa & John: Spinning & Weaving Partners



I was already well into hand-spinning and weaving before I began discerning a vocation to Carmel. Imagine my surprise and delight to discover that St. Teresa of Jesus, the founder of our Order, spent many hours spinning! And St. John of the Cross, who assisted her in founding the Order, came from a family of weavers!

Since both spinning and weaving fit in well with a life centered on solitude and reflection I find myself thinking of both of these great Saints while at work on the loom or at one of my wheels.

“There are more than enough books written on prayer already. For the love of God, let me get on with my spinning and go to choir and do my religious duties like the other sisters. I am not meant for writing; I have neither the health nor the wits for it.”

St. Teresa of Jesus, OCD
Interior Castle trans. by E. Allison Peers

Post a Comment