Monday, June 16, 2008

For My Husband





I am truly blessed to have a wonderful husband, Brad. We have been married for over 33 eventful years, most of which was spent with him in law enforcement.

He is the love of my life and I try very hard to let him know that on a regular basis. One of the ways I do that is to buy him flowers for birthday, anniversary and Fathers Day. I sometimes even bring him flowers for no other reason than I love him.

We have grown up together. I met him when I was sixteen, almost seventeen, and we were married when I was twenty and he was twenty-two. When we celebrated our twentieth wedding anniversary it occurred to me that I had spent half of my life with this man, as many years as I had spent in my parent's home. Now, thirteen years later, it seems we have always been together.

We have weathered a lot together: Him being a cop for twenty-eight years, our daughter leaving for the Navy right out of high school, health issues for all three of us as well as the deaths of several family members in a few short years.

But all in all we have a wonderful life together. We live out in the boondocks of North Central Texas near Red River on eighty-six acres of mostly woods and weeds. The only complaint we have is being long-distance parents/grandparents with our daughter and her family residing in Virginia. When our son-in-law retires from the Navy they will move to Texas and then we will be content.

We don't get many visitors and we enjoy our solitude. We have a comfortable income supplemented by his teaching part-time at two area police academies and two shooting schools. When one of the cops he worked with at the city of Sherman asked him if he knew what retirement meant he replied that when someone pays you for doing what you love, it isn't work. I agree.

He teaches a ladies Sunday School class at his Disciples of Christ church and is an Elder. He helps his sister with the family farm as well as the upkeep on our place. He is a talented, giving person and I am so thankful to God for putting him in my life. We are good for one another and I can't imagine life without him.
Posted by Picasa
Posted by Picasa
Post a Comment